Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Backyard vegetable garden

I got such a late start this year planting, with the yucky weather I just haven't been motivated. With one day of sunshine I was off to the nursery to get my garden going.  This year I planted, bok choy, 2 kinds of lettuce, walla walla sweet onions, hot peppers, sweet peppers, garlic chives, basil, cauliflower, sweet corn, roma and heritage tomatoes.

I want to take my gardening the next level.  I plan on getting a Ph kit so I can make sure my soil is nice and full of nutrients.  Not too acidic and not too alkaline, just right.  I did add a bit of lime to the sweet corn and tomatoes, and I plan on adding a layer of mulch in a month or so to help keep moisture in and put nutrients back into the soil.  Wow science is fun!






This is my first time growing corn.  I think it should be easy and I love me some sweet summer corn.  


I also added a little seasonal color to the yard :)  These will spread and hopefully re-seed each year.  They have tiny little purple flowers. 


I love dahlias, they are one my favorite flowers.  They come in so many different varieties. If I could only have one flower for life it would be them!






The hibiscus is so tropical and reminds me of Hawaii.  I fell in love when I saw it in orange!




Then yesterday my friend Brian told me he made me a planter box.  No way for me?  Here it is, and then there were two.  I think I will fill this one with flowers.   Thank you so much Brian that is one the sweetest things anyone has ever done for me, and you painted it pink, you rule!!!!




and on that note, WELCOME FIRST DAY OF SUMMER, I have missed your warm caress:)  
Have any of you gardening advice for me?  What are you or have you planted?



1 comment:

Misfits Vintage said...

You know what I would love to see? A weekly pic, taken from the same place, so we can watch the progress of your garden!

Dahlias are also one of my favourites (I LOVE gardenia the best). Since I have no garden at the moment I am living vicariously through you!

Sarah xxx