Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mark Ryden and his sweet art!

Mark Ryden is and American painter born in Medford Oregon.  You might not know his name but his work is unforgettable.  Currently he resides in Southern California where he has a studio and lives with his wife and two daughters.  He is a perfect combination of cute and creepy and that style is a favorite of mine.


This is a great book of some of his work.











Here is a time lapse video of the above painting.  This guy is amazing!

6 comments:

VainGlorySinner said...

I love Mark Ryden's work! They're so beautiful and pleasing to the eye but when you really take a closer look at his images you find lots of bizarre details with hidden meanings.

A couple of my favourite pieces by him are Clear Hearts, Grey Flowers - the one with the girls on the carousel and The Fountain - the decapitated girl in a pink dress holding her own head because it's simple, pretty and disturbing at the same time!

Lady GaGa obviously took inspiration for her meat dress from his Incarnation piece! It was really interesting seeing him create it from start to finish!

Did you know that Mark Ryden did the album cover for Michael Jackson's Dangerous album - I'm not a Jacko fan but I found this out not long ago and had no idea even though I did own that album when I was about 12 years old! xxx

Vix said...

They are amazing, kind of creepy in a Tim Burton fairytale kind of way. I reckon they'd fit into my Wall of Misery a treat.
xxx

Tanya said...

Wow, these paintings are really something! I think they creepy factor makes these really interesting. Loved the video too.

Nelly said...

Not my thing but was going to say I can see one on VIxes wall lol

Misfits Vintage said...

They are SO Tim Burten-esque - aren't they gorgeous?? I love the first one best.

Sarah xxx

Ivy Black said...

I love his work too, it's stunning.xx