Monday, August 6, 2012

Adventures at Crater Lake

Chris and I just got back from one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, Crater Lake.  Located south east of Portland it's about a 4.5 hour drive from our place.  We went with our friends Ron and Christopher.  Here is us hitting the road bright and early on Saturday morning.
I'm wearing an adorable dress gifted to me by our very own Rock Star Helga! We planned several stops along the way to break up the long drive. I found this pink haired gal sitting by the river getting her toes wet, I had to get a picture of us together.
Here are a few shots along the way.
 There were plenty of people out fishing as it was about 90 degrees that day and the water felt good!
 Plenty of covered bridges and trees as far as the eye could see.
 We have arrived!
I was completely blown away by the magnificence of this place.  Are you ready?!?!?
I'm pleased to introduce Crater Lake our Nations Deepest Lake.  It really is this blue.
 The lake holds 4.9 trillion gallons of water.
 It was formed by a massive volcanic eruption 7700 years ago and left a deep basin in place of where a peak once stood.
 Centuries of rain and snow filled the basin, forming a deep blue lake whose waters are of unmatched color and clarity.
 At it's deepest point it's 1943 feet deep.
 No streams run in or out of the lake so very little sediments cloud its pure waters.
 There are hydrothermal pools at its bottom and only 2% of the lake bottom has been explored.

 Lichen covered trees and rocks are everywhere.





 Cutest ground squirrel ever!
Then we headed to Crater Lake Lodge where you have to book your room a year ahead of time.
 This place is only open 4 months a year because the snow makes it impossible to get too most of the time.
 Beautiful views abound!
 Believe it or not when we came out here after sunset almost everyone had their nose in their smart phone or iPad.  Are you kidding me?  It was kinda disgusting to see.
 Not us, we were taking it all in!

Dinner was delicious! I had a crab cake topped beef tenderloin with asparagus and mashed potatoes.
 Chris had grilled halibut and wild rice.
 Every room has a view of the lake.
The next day we hiked down into the crater for a boat ride around the interior.  It was mind blowing to see it from that perspective and I'll share those pictures with you tomorrow.  It feels so good to get off my computer and out into nature!!!!

26 comments:

Kathi said...

It looks like you had a couple of gorgeous days!

Dolly Cool Clare said...

Wow, I got goosebumps looking at your photos Krista! That lake is absolutley stunning!

Vix said...

No way are those photos for real!!! What splendiforous blueness, unbelievably awesome!! Your Helga frock is stunning on you and you and your new friend look like pink goddesses!
I hate it when I'm in India and everyone's got their noses stuck in a computer/fancy-ass phone. What a waste of a life!!!
That lodge looks gorgeous, loving the plantation chairs!
Love you!!! Not long now!!! xxxxx

two squirrels said...

Oh it's 4am in the morning and I can't sleep. It was just lovely to click on to see you and Chris looking so happy and enjoying such a truly beautiful place.
That is the most breathtaking blue lake. It makes me feel calm just looking at your gorgeous photos.
To stay in such a wonderful place and just be still is such a blessing.
Thank you darling, I might try to go back to sleep and dream of a serene blue lake.
Love v
Oh mr squirrel is cute!!!!!

Style Sud-Est said...

Wow Krista! i am blown away!
What a beautiful place
Nice to get away with hubby!

Ariane xxxx

Joni James said...

Just as beautiful as I remember. wow!
Cute photo by the river with the pink haired lady. But your hair is much more beautiful. ;)

pastcaring said...

The lake is just stunning! That has to be the bluest blue ever. Love all your photos, what a gorgeous place to visit.
The lodge and the food look wonderful too.
I think some people are terrified to be disconnected from the virtual world. It's sad for them really, they are missing so much by being unable to enjoy the moment right in front of them. If you can't sit on that deck and drink in that view, there is something wrong with you.
You are a vision of pink loveliness amongst Nature's best! So happy you had a great weekend. xxxxxx

Melanie said...

Wow.

The beauty and the depth and the ancient-ness. It's so deep, down, and down and down. So many secrets down there. I'm glad we don't know them and let it be. It looks like a rejuvenating trip. I love the first photo of you with the toe-dipper!

Lynn Dylan said...

Krista, I think your pictures are going to have everyone booking a room at Crater Lake! Wow. That is absolutely breathtaking!! It does feel good to get away from the computer sometimes. I had to peel myself away over the weekend and take a walk. I saw tadpoles, a turtle. Just that little bit of nature was most refreshing!

xoxo
Lynn

Ivy Black said...

God, what a stunning place. I have seen it in photos but it's better when a chum is there too! If I could I'd book a month out there and do not very much apart from just look at it and eat some of that nosh.
Gorgeous. And how lovely to meet a fellow pink haired gal!xxxxx

Loulou said...

That place is stunningly gorgeous! I can't believe the colour of the lake.

LUCEWOMAN said...

I have to get to this lake before I die. Incredible.

Hope to speak soon!

loadsalove

Lucy x

Nerd Burger said...

What breathtaking photos.Everything from the craters, water and even the hotel in amazing. You look so happy with you new pink haired pal :)

OP SHOP MAMA said...

Wow! What an amazing place!
Awesome.

Lucy Nation said...

Amazing photos! I've never seen such a deep clear blue. Messing with technology in such a place is just rude and pathetic.

You're in such good shape and are looking mighty fine btw missus! What's your secret xx

Nat said...

Wow, wow, wow! What an amazing place... just so beautiful! I really want to go there someday...
Just to be one with Nature like that is the best, why do people have to keep themselves chained to their iphones?
Looking forward to the rest of the photos!

Helga! said...

OMG,how incredibly stunning that lake is!!! The whole place is divine!I hate when peeps are too involved in their shit to enjoy some gorgeous views!Nothing can compete with nature at her finest!!! I'd love to go there, along with eveyone else!!!!
Yay for spotting afellow pink haired Goddess!!! That's awesome!
Youre awesome!And gorgeous,rocking that frock like a sexy thang!!
Love you!XXXXXXXXXXXXX

thorne garnet said...

Damn, I thought Lake Tahoe was pretty, this is much better. Trees and more trees! Just beautiful!

Dee @ onedenimbird said...

Oh wow! Krista the photos are magnificent! What an awesome place!

Gracey at Fashion for Giants said...

Amazing photos, Krista! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Misfits Vintage said...

OMG this is about the most beautiful pace I have ever seen. I am absolutely green with envy! The water views from the balcony is amazing and the dinner looks delicious - even for a twenty + year vegetarian!

And you, well you look beautiful as always - vibrant and happy and look - you found a kindred spirit there in the forest! I absolutely LOVE these pics Krista - thank you!

Sarah xxx

edie pop said...

I just wake up this morning and reading your post makes me feel like I'm still dreaming..there are no words to describe the huge impact that nature has on me..I feel a deep inner peace now!
You and Chris are always such a great and beautiful couple and it gives me lot of good vibes too!
Thank you for this beautiful start of the day!!

I love you more than blue!!
xxxx

Trees said...

This is so beautiful - I'm quite jealous!! I love you met another pink haired gal on the way:)

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Woweeeeee, that is bloody amazing! How can there be so many beautiful places in the world I've never even heard of? That truly is stunning. I'm sad that I'll need to live 3 lifetimes to see everywhere there is to see in the world. Glad you had an amazing time.
xx

Heather said...

Wow I am absolutely in awe of that lake!!! It is so beautiful that is going on my list of things to see for sure!! Looks like a fantastic trip thanks for sharing all the pics it is like being on a little field trip hehe ~Love Heather

Terri said...

I'm very impressed by the depth of this lake and how calm the waters are.